Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014: A Year of Gratitude


Wow, 2014 is here. In the previous years, just like so many others, I would write down my list of resolutions that I wanted to accomplish. Well, no more. I no longer kid myself into believing that a few items written on a piece of paper will instill in me a desire of accomplishments. So, I no longer make New Year resolutions. I learned a long time ago that although it was fun having a list of what I hoped for, the results were always the same. The list went by the wayside because I never really took my list seriously.

I like the idea of starting out the year with a focus in mind. So, the question becomes how do I want to approach 2014? I want to piggyback off of 2013. Instead of New Year resolutions, I opted for a "word" that would describe what I expected out of 2013. The word I chose was "redeem". Webster's Dictionary defines redeem in many ways. Redeem means to free from what distresses or harms us; to extricate from or help to overcome something; to release from blame or debt; to change for the better; to make good; to atone for; to rescue.

I recall many situations whereby I "redeemed" myself by forgiving myself and others. I let go of guilt and anger. I stopped being mad at myself. I redeemed myself by making positive changes in my life.

2013 was a year of redemption. As a result, the year provided me with numerous instances of being grateful. Grateful for the changes in my heart, my approach to situations and people. My desire is to continue on this path.

So, as it is now 2014, it is time for me to pick a new word. Choosing this years word took some deliberation. I wanted a word that would continue me on the path of being grateful. The word I chose  for 2014 is "represent". Webster's Dictionary defines "represent" as speaking or acting for someone; to portray; to serve as a sign or symbol; to describe as having a specified character or quality.

Living a life filled with gratitude is a good way to "represent" one's self. People will see how happy and content you are. Throughout the year I want to "represent" the positives. Instead of complaining about what I feel I may be lacking in life, I will be grateful for what I do have.

Some of the steps that you can take to portray gratitude is being responsible for your actions. You can let go of anything that gets in the way of what you want to accomplish. Learn from your mistakes. Celebrate and acknowledge what you have. These are just a few steps that will assist you with "representing" your character. It will also keep you in the state of being grateful; of moving in the right direction.

2014 provides you with a clean slate. Allow me to provide the following scriptures to provide support.

"I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me" Phillipians 4:13, provides you with the mindset that it's okay to try different things.

Jeremiah 29:11KJV states "For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope".

What are you willing to do to live a life of gratitude?






No comments:

Post a Comment