Friday, February 22, 2013

The Big Al (Alzheimer’s)





I hate this disease!!! This disease strips away an individuals livelihood. Little by little memories are stolen away. 9 times out of 10 you may not even realize that this disease has crept into your life. What symptoms do you look for? How frustrating it must be to fight an enemy without being able to defend yourself. There are no weapons available to destroy this monster.  

My dad started getting forgetful. He would misplace the car keys. He would forget where he was. He began to not recognize family members and he would repeat himself a lot. I was saddened by what my dad could no longer do, however, I celebrated the things he was able to continue doing (before he passed).  

When my dad finally understood that he had Alzheimer’s, his concern then centered on how this disease would affect my mom. Mom never learned to drive. She would have to take on the role of a caretaker; she would have to become independent.

The one positive note that I had is that a closer relationship developed between my dad and I.  I focused on his long term memory (which was intact). We had one-on-one conversations based on how he was raised which provided such an insight into his belief system). I cherished that newfound closeness. I was able to tell my dad repeatedly that I loved him, knowing one day he wouldn’t remember who I am.

I've been speaking with my friend, Ann Kasun, ALK Solutions. Ann does a lot of work with adult children who have taken on the role of caregiver to their parent(s). There are so many fears associated with aging parents. We expect that our parents will be around forever. As our parents age, they face losing their independence, becoming frail, they get frustrated.  

At this time, there is no cure for Alzheimer’s. Alzheimer’s is still very much a silent disease. We need a plan of attack. Education is key along with eating healthy. These two things will go a long way towards helping family, friends and others (with Alzheimer’s).

No comments:

Post a Comment