Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Forgiveness: Part 2.


I can remember as a child having a "spirit" of unforgiveness. I saw examples of unforgiveness throughout my life. I would hold grudges towards anyone who made me mad or caused me harm (physical or mental). I would shut people out of my life. I would build walls to protect myself. I was a self-made prisoner. I blamed others for all injustices, never taking responsibility for anything I started or hurts that I may have caused.

Sometimes, I would smile at the person who I felt had hurt me, all the while planning my revenge. Some people didn't realize that I was upset. I was stuck in the mire that I had created and I couldn't get loose.

Not being able to forgive others causes rifts, alienation and misunderstandings. Unforgiveness can cause one to make mountains out of molehills.

As I got older, I learned that I could either accept or reject how others treated me. I chose to break down the walls; to escape from my self-imprisonment. The first time I forgave someone for hurting me I felt strange (in a good way). As I continued to forgive, it got easier. Not all forgiveness was done verbally. I forgave in and from my heart. I even forgave myself!!!  Being able to forgive has reduced stress in my life. I'm so much happier because I let things "roll off" of me.

Is there someone in your life that needs forgiving? Change the direction of your life by letting go of the past. Get back in the drivers seat. Set your course for happiness. You'll be glad you did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment